The E-commerce sector is central to Australia’s economy with online purchases rising by 49% last year due to so many people staying home. With this huge surge, cybercriminals are focusing on the retail sector as their next victims and it’s clear to see why. Retail faces the biggest cyber attack risks for e-commerce.
Aust Cyber recently released Australia’s Digital Trust Report 2020 highlighting the effect a cyber attack can have on the retail sector including E-commerce. It revealed that a month-long cyber attack can cost the Australian economy $30 billion dollars with retail and e-commerce being the third worst hit.
Ransomware and phishing attacks are currently the two most popular methods of cyber attacks. Even though most ransomware attacks focus on healthcare, the media and logistics. Alternatively, phishing attacks have been known to cripple small to medium businesses and continue to be one of the oldest tricks in the book to this day.
Here are some ways that your small to medium business can avoid harmful phishing attacks
- Look for the red flags. Emails with many grammatical errors, spelling mistakes or unknown links are a good indicator and should be avoided.
- Verify all websites. Before entering sensitive information, double-check that the website you are on is safe and secure.
- Guard your financial information. You should never give out your full bank details over email and only give them to trusted sources. If you’re unsure, it’s always best to double-check.
- Use your credit card instead of your debit card when making online purchases as there is a higher chance of having your funds protected.
- Use XSurflog to help your business detect and protect against phishing attacks by monitoring the websites your employees visit for regulatory, compliance and security reasons.
However, the best way to avoid harmful phishing attacks is to speak with a cyber security specialist. Cyber attacks are the biggest threat to businesses and you can’t fix issues that you’re unaware of, which is why we partner with businesses to help them stay safe online. We offer a variety of cyber security services so that you can focus on what matters most, your business.
Don’t be a victim of cyber crime. Speak to us about how we can safeguard your business from harmful attacks today.